Prior to 1909, Old Boys of Hale School had been holding an annual dinner for some years and there had been talk of forming an Old Boys' Association. Finally, at the annual dinner held on 29 March 1908, a provisional committee of eight was appointed to work on the formation of the Association. As a result of the efforts of the provisional committee, a general meeting was convened on 26 May 1909, and the Association was formed.
Hale School was called High School at the time and so the Association was called The High School Old Boys' Association. The Rules of the Association were printed with the crest which appeared on the Cygnet on the cover. This was a swan with the motto "Floreat Schola Perthiensis" (which translates as "may the atmosphere of learning in Perth flourish") which was the unofficial motto of the School at the time. Also, a program was commenced to join up Old Boys and past and present Masters of the School as members of the Association. The first object stated in the Rules was "to give assistance to any objects connected with the School".
On 4 January 1910, the Association held its first dinner and, by May 1910, it was firmly established with 57 life members and 24 annual members.
By 1920, the School had adopted "Duty" in lieu of its unofficial motto of "Floreat Schola Perthiensis". However, the Association continued to use the former motto itself.
The period from 1920-1927 saw the Association grow to over 600 financial members and one of the driving forces behind the strengthening of the Association was the Rev C L ("Tom") Riley" who was Secretary during those years. In 1921, the State Government amended the High School Act to enable the Association to nominate three governors of the School. The other six governors were nominated by the Government. The Association's first nominees were T A L Davy, E A Lee-Steere and C L Riley.
In 1929, the Association provided the School with a gallery of pictures of all past headmasters of the School as its gift to the School during the Centenary Celebrations of the State. That year, the School's name was changed from The High School to Hale School and so the Association changed its name to "The Hale School Old Boys' Association". In 1934, the Association changed its name from "The Hale School Old Boys' Association to "The Old Haleians' Association".
Until 1945, Old Boys' news was only published in the Cygnet each year but, in that year, the practice started of issuing "circular letters" to members of the Association (both at home and overseas on war service).
In 1950, the practice was started of holding a "Country Dinner" in a different town each year, with the dinner that year being held in York.
The year of 1955 was an important one for the Association. The publication of "The Old Haleian" commenced and Cygnet Hall was opened, giving the Association a "home". Also, Old Boys' Day that year saw a Roll Call of 130 Old Boys, which was believed to be the largest ever attendance, up until that time.
In 1958, the Association was incorporated and the Hale School Act was amended to provide four members of the Board of Governors to be appointed by the Association, with another four members being appointed by the Perth Diocesan Trustees with the Archbishop of Perth being the other member of the Board.
In 1960, membership of the Association reached 1,000 (of whom 480 were life members) and the Association's accumulated funds stood at £3,590. In 1961, the practice commenced of holding the AGM of the Association at Old Boys' Day.
On 4 February 1962, the War Memorial Hall at the new School at Wembley Downs was opened. The Association had commenced an Appeal in about 1950 to finance the Memorial Hall, which cost £75,000.
In 1969, the School Chapel, the Chapel of St Mark, was opened. This was another project funded by an Appeal conducted by the Association.
In 1982, "The Old Haleian" was enlarged to contain news of the Parents' and Friends' Association and, in 1983, news of the Ladies' Auxiliary, the Cygnet Rowing Club and the Old Haleians' Hockey Club was also included.
In 1987, the Hale School Foundation was initiated as a non-profit organisation dedicated to generating short and long term funds to meet current and future needs of the School.
It attracted to its service the talents, skills and goodwill of people who had at heart the good of the School. To this end, the Old Haleians' Association became the first Patron member of the Foundation with a contribution of $25,000.
In 1988, "The Old Haleian" became "The Haleian", with the shift of the responsibility for its production going from the Old Haleians' Association to the Hale School Foundation. This change was made to cope with a much wider circulation, reporting the activities of all associated bodies working for a better and vibrant Hale.
Old Boys have given, and continue to give, tremendous support to the School
HONORARY LIFE MEMBERS
ALBERT C MARSHALL
WILFRED J R CORR
TOM D HOAR
R JOHN INVERARITY
ALEX N PANARESE
Old Boys Committee 1962